Recipe: Baked Pork Chops with Apple Cranberry Sauce
Pork chops are a good source of low-fat protein and minerals like selenium, zinc and iron that support your immune system.
This family meal includes a wonderful fruit sauce that adds the perfect touch to these pork chops. Serve with a side of brown rice and steamed broccoli.
Yield: 4 servings of one pork chop, ¼ C sauce, 2 orange segments
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
For pork chops:
- 4 boneless pork chops (about 3 oz each)
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- 1 medium orange, rinsed, for ¼ tsp zest (use a grater to take a thin layer of skin off the orange; save the orange for garnish)
- ½ Tbsp olive oil
- ¼ C low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 medium apple, peeled and grated (about 1 C) (use a grater to make thin layers of apple)
- ½ cinnamon stick (or 1/8 tsp ground cinnamon)
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ C dried cranberries (or substitute raisins)
- ½ C 100 percent orange juice
- Preheat oven to 350 °F.
- Season pork chops with pepper and orange zest.
- In a large sauté pan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add pork chops, and cook until browned on one side, about 2 minutes. Turn over and brown the second side, an additional 2 minutes. Remove pork chops from the pan, place them on a nonstick baking sheet, and put in the oven to cook for an additional 10 minutes (to a minimum internal temperature of 160 °F).
- Add chicken broth to the sauté pan and stir to loosen the flavorful brown bits. Set aside for later.
- Meanwhile, place grated apples, cinnamon stick, and bay leaf in a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat until the apples begin to soften.
- Add cranberries, orange juice, and saved broth with flavorful brown bits. Bring to a boil, and then lower to a gentle simmer. Simmer for up to 10 minutes, or until the cranberries are plump and the apples are tender. Remove the cinnamon stick.
- Peel the orange used for the zest, and cut it into eight sections for garnish.
- Serve one pork chop with ¼ cup of sauce and two orange segments.
Each serving provides:
Calories: 232; Total fat: 7 g; Saturated fat: 2 g; Cholesterol: 50 mg; Sodium: 42 mg; Total fiber: 2 g; Protein: 18 g; Carbohydrates: 25 g; Potassium: 384 mg Iron: 6% recommended daily amount